Wednesday 21 September 2011

A Heron Fishing at Lucy's Mill

I was fishing for roach a few days ago at Lucy's Mill in Stratford-upon-Avon enjoying myself catching a few redfins and generally enjoying the day when this heron, the first I have even seen this far into town despite having fished here many, many times over he last few years, flew out of the wood on the island and took up position on the mill wall by the second weir...



...It stood awhile upright and dead still, then bent down when it spied a fish...

 ...seconds later it dropped into the water like a kingfisher and pounced upon its hapless prey...

 ...but so far as I could see at that distance - it was a good seventy yards away - missed its target.

Ah well, you can't win them all!

Luckily my camera, though not equipped with a lens that can actually make pictures in-camera like the ones above does a good enough job on full zoom for me to be able to zoom in much further in Photoshop than I would have thought and make a fist of a reasonable distance shot.

Lucky also that I kept shooting through the whole action and got the exit shot but the downside with compact digitals with any subject that moves suddenly and quickly is that the slow refresh rate for the cameras electronics meant that I missed the bird actually hitting the water which would have been a prize shot indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment